First introduced in 1910, the B-type bus was a standardised mechanically propelled omnibus, but it still retained many of the lines of the horse-drawn buses which had preceded it. The B-type buses proved extremely successful in service and many hundreds
of them were produced, both as the standard double decker and also in single-deck form. The body of the bus was built mainly of wood and seats 18 passengers on the top deck with 16 below inside.
A water-cooled 4 cylinder petrol engine producing 25hp powered the bus through a 3-speed and reverse gearbox with a shaft to the rear wheels. The chassis was made of ash faced with steel and the cast steel wheels had solid rubber tyres. Fenders were fitted
on each side between the wheels to prevent people from falling under the rear wheels.